BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A tip to save you money...

Who doesn't like tips on saving money?  I know I do.  I keep the good ones that I know I can make work for me, and just push the others to the side.  So, take this for what it's worth.

I was at the Commissary today and was paying attention in the frozen vegetable section.  I would usually first look for the cheapest brand.  Then, I look for the biggest bag they sell of that brand.  We go through a LOT of frozen vegetables!  We eat two veg sides every night, hide vegs purees in my food, make baby food for Cara and steam veggies for Isabella.  Well, today I found the cheapest brand then looked for the biggest bag of broccoli they had.  Our commissary put unit prices on their price tags.  I always try to keep an eye on these but not really in this section because I just don't think about it.  So, I looked at the big bag and it was $0.12 per oz.  The next size down was actually $0.10 per oz.  The smallest bag was actually only $0.07 per oz!!!  It paid me to look into the cost per oz.

I know many stores don't do this.  You could do it on a calculator if you wanted.  You just take the price and divide it by the number of oz.  (Example:  a 12 oz bag of broccoli $2.00 so you would do 2/12 which would be $0.17 per oz.)

I have also noticed this with Bisquick,  cheese, even diapers.  So for diapers I compare cost per diaper.  You would take a pack of 40 diapers which cost $10 (typical cost for Huggies).  You divide 10 by 40.  That is $0.25 per diaper.  Then you would do the same for the other brand you are considering.  I usually compare to the off brand.  If you have a coupon, you just take that from the original price and then divide by the number of diapers in the pack.  I have seen a pack of 82 Huggies for $20.  I had a $3 off coupon and CVS had a $5 coupon.  So, I paid $12.  That was $0.14 per diaper.  That was better than the off brand diapers most places and they are my preferred diaper.

So, I highly recommend looking at cost per oz or unit.  This can help you pay less which does not always mean buying more!

0 comments: